POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... : Re: Oh dear... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh dear...
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Nov 2008 22:35:18
Message: <491e4376$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Uh huh.  Takes about 2 hours on the machine I have at work to delete two
>> months of audio chopped into 20-second chunks. :-)
>
> Huh?? You're clearly using the wrong filesystem!

I said that, yes.

"""
I think on Linux it was just a combination of me picking a file system
not really optimized for bunches of little files, combined with a
journaling mode that's designed for utter safety rather than efficiency,
combined with a software RAID. I probably could have improved it a bunch
if I had an incentive to learn my options before installing things.
"""

You understand I'm talking about quarter million 1.7-meg files, yes?
That's 2000+ deletes a minute (36/second) on an IDE drive with RAID
going on.

Yes, I'm using the wrong file system, but it's not *too* shabby.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)