POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Nov 2008 11:52:19
Message: <491dacc3$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> In the UK at least, the law says that you must not go over the white
> line that is painted across the road next to the signal, if it is on
> red.

In most states in the USA, if your car hasn't gotten across the *far*
white line when the light goes red, technically you're in the
intersection on a red light.  As for what the cameras look for, I
couldn't say.

> Quite often though, people are driving above the speed limit, so the
> amber phase is maybe not long enough for them to have enough warning to
> stop, or to get over the line before it goes red.  Their only option to
> avoid running a red is to speed up.

Yep, that happens too. When I was learning to drive (and sometimes still
now), I start thinking to myself "No, no, no, no, YES!" and making the
decision in advance whether I'll stop for a yellow or not. At least that
way, I'm either speeding up or slowing down, and not hesitating trying
to decide which I should do when I should already be acting. Not that I
always make the right decision, but usually.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)