POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... : Re: Oh dear... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh dear...
From: scott
Date: 14 Nov 2008 11:07:17
Message: <491da235$1@news.povray.org>

Indeed, although it seems a lot of people use their phone a lot more than
you.  At the other end of the spectrum is my boss (who has a UK phone
contract), he recently joined a several hour phone conference by calling
Japan from his mobile phone - while in the US.  Let's just say his monthly
phone bill is often in 4 digits!  Mine was 350 euro the other month when I
used the 3G connection in France as a modem to download email onto my laptop
:-O  Data tarifs abroad are quite pricey!

> Credit cards can be cancelled

Sure, but the thief can still buy something with it worth a lot more than
your phone, which makes it more valuable to them.  Even if you don't
actually lose anything.

> Cars can sometimes be found and recovered.

Here cars tend to just be "exported" to Eastern Europe and then sold, nobody
holds out much hope if your car gets stolen.  If they have the key they're
laughing, even if they sell it for half price because it's stolen and only
got 1 key, they are going to get a hell of a lot more for it than a phone.

> Where the hell would you wear that?? o_O

I think the better question is "who" not "where".  And the answer is people
who earn more money than you or I :-)  The same people who drive a car worth
100K or live in a house worth a million or two, why would they even take a
second look at some cheap necklace for "only" a few hundred pounds?