POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-ray (text) editor for beginners : Re: POV-ray (text) editor for beginners Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-ray (text) editor for beginners
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 14 Nov 2008 10:46:29
Message: <491d9d55$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Alessio Sangalli <ale### [at] manowebcom> wrote:
>> The most annoying problem is that everytime she wants to see the scene
>> she has to save, go to the shell, issue the povray command with some
>> (for her) cryptic options and then open up an image viewer (or
>> imagemagick's "display") to see the result.
>
>   It doesn't have to be so complicated. When I edit a povray file and want
> to make a test render of it, it happens like:

It's not even complicated with emacs (at least in linux).  If I have a shell window
running tcsh and an emacs window, I do:

in emacs window: cntl-S
in shell window (to repeat my last render command): !pov enter  (!p if I've not issued
any other p... commands)
    or "cntl-p" until I reach the last pov command, then enter

Lightning fast.  Well under one second.

The shell can be within an emacs window, if I prefer (which I don't).

That's it.  It's not worth worrying about shortcuts.

Dan