POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: scott
Date: 14 Nov 2008 10:11:50
Message: <491d9536$1@news.povray.org>
>> Huh? What do the cars do that are on green?  Here I see max. 1 second red
>> light running, and even that is very rare.
>>

> The cars waiting on green just have to keep waiting.

Oh wow, that would never happen here, if it was a fast road there would
definitely be a load of accidents because the people on green would just go
without looking left&right very far, some would probably see you and drive
out anyway forcing you to do an emergency stop and crash into them.
Insurance would certainly blame the person for red light jumping no matter
what happened.

On a slower road the cars on green would just force their way over and force
the red-light runners to stop (this happens sometimes when the exit is
blocked and people get stuck in the middle and then try to go when it frees
up, forgetting that they don't have green anymore).

>> Yeh a lot of them here too, although IMO they make the cameras too
>> obvious.
>>

> What's the goal - to stop red light running or to give the most fines
> possible?

It seems to just stop people red-light running at certain junctions, and
they can tell which ones they need to stop at before they get to there.  If
they hid them somehow you'd never know which ones had cameras so you'd have
to stop at all of them.  The police could just announce "we've fitted red
light cameras under-cover to around 10% of intersections on a rotating
basis".

> I've seen this on regular roads with stop lights.

We don't usually have shoulders on regular roads, if there's space for a
shoulder it will be a proper lane.