POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Tom Austin
Date: 14 Nov 2008 08:29:09
Message: <491d7d25$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I once made a safe stop at a red light.
>> I started to fiddle with the radio and started to hear tires squealing.
>> Next thing I know a guy blows past me sideways spinning into the
>> intersection.
>
> Oh wow, yeh at least he didn't just plough into the back of you.

I now keep an eye on traffic behind me when stopping at lights.

> I had a similar experience on my bike once, it was at some construction
> work and the light went red, so I stopped and was first in line.  A
> split second later I see a cyclist (who must have been right behind me)
> come flying past me in the air pretty much separated from his bike. Once
> he'd picked himself up off the road and collected up his (now
> unrideable) bike, he said to me how stupid I was to stop at the light
> and I should have just gone through it like all the other cyclists!

Don't cyclists have to obey the traffic laws as well - I guess that's
the way of things.  If someone does not do something you expect them to
do - it's your fault.

I've seen 1 or 2 accidents that were just that accidents.
But most of the accidents out there should be labeled stupidities -
because someone was doing something stupid and the 'accident' was
totally avoidable.