POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Tom Austin
Date: 14 Nov 2008 08:26:08
Message: <491d7c70$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> In the UK at least I see a lot of junctions where the instant one
>>> direction changes from amber to red, the other changes from red to
>>> red+amber.
>>
>> The delay is probably similar to red+amber.
>> Are you allowed to go on a red+amber?
>
> Not technically, but the phase is so short (usually 1 second or less) by
> the time you've actually started moving past the light it is on green
> anyway.
>
>> Yes and no - it depends on where you live.  Some areas are really bad
>> - 10-15 seconds of red light running.
>
> Huh? What do the cars do that are on green?  Here I see max. 1 second
> red light running, and even that is very rare.

The cars waiting on green just have to keep waiting.

>> I like that some places actually put in red light cameras - then it is
>> automatic with the ticket, not only when there is a cop around.
>
> Yeh a lot of them here too, although IMO they make the cameras too obvious.

What's the goal - to stop red light running or to give the most fines
possible?
You hide them to give tickets, you show them if you just want people to
stop.
Then the budget people come in - tighten the amber times so that we can
give more red light tickets so that we can fund our pension plan.

> Actually people do that here in Germany quite often when the traffic is
> slow, in fact there are even a few places with signs where it tells you
> to use the shoulder if you are turning off and traffic is slow.  If
> traffic is really slow or stopped then people will often drive for kms
> on the shoulder to get off at the next exit.  I sometimes wonder if any
> accidents are caused by this behaviour, like if someone is turning off
> and doesn't see someone else coming up on the shoulder, but everyone
> seems to have a similar understanding of what's going on.

I've seen this on regular roads with stop lights.

Actually, I could care less if people use the shoulder - especially in
the case you pointed out.  When driving on the shoulder and going at
high speed along traffic that is almost stopped - that's asking for trouble.