POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Nov 2008 07:00:55
Message: <491d6877$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> I'll add my voice to this and third it. I don't know if anyone has
> already said this, but the UK *is* the same - most PhDs in the sciences
> and engineering (including CS) are fully funded, and I highly recommend
> following this path if you're interested.

I'm always interested in geeking out over obscure algorithms and such.
But I rather doubt that's what a PhD is actually about. And you say you
get paid, but how much? Not a lot, I'd expect. I'm always on very low
money - that's why I'm trying to get hold of a job that pays real money.

> And despite what you say, you *can* write technical documents. You keep
> posting them here, and they are well-written.

Well, at least somebody has something nice to say about me. :-}

> Style and structure is
> something you pick up whilst reading around the subject, and most
> institutions will offer formal training for students and staff.

My college and my uni *did* offer (indeed, require) formal training. I
still suck at it!

> The holiday allowance isn't too shabby either ;-)

I'll bet... ;-)