POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cheapest possible primitive? : Re: Cheapest possible primitive? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheapest possible primitive?
From: David Buck
Date: 14 Nov 2008 05:47:57
Message: <491d575d@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> For testing purposes I would like to plot a large number of objects using a
> function. I want the scene to render as quickly as possible. Which primitive
> should I choose? What other settings should I enable/disable?
>
> -Mike

Spheres would be the cheapest shape. Obviously turning off reflection
and refraction would make it faster. If you also turn off diffuse and
turn up ambient there would be no need for shadow calculations and no
need for light sources.   You'd get a very boring rendering (just
colored circles) but it would render quickly.

David Buck