POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Nov 2008 05:09:58
Message: <491d4e76@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I don't even feel the need to pirate music because listening to music
> is not my hobby. I basically never listen to music.

Given the current state of the Chart Top 40, I can't say I blame you...

...oh, wait. You're from the country that gave us Lordi? That
*definitely* explains it! o_O

>> OTOH, DRM *also* annoys the hell out of me! >_<
>
>   The reason why DRM is so annoying is that it doesn't affect the people
> who it should, ie. the pirates, but it *does* affect and hinder the honest
> people who buy honestly and pay what they are asked for the product.

As somebody once said, "trying to make data not copiably is like trying
to make water not wet".

Even on paper the concept is impossible.

The *only* way to prevent digital copying is to make all devices use a
single common DRM system, and to outlaw (and efficiently confiscate!)
all devices which can circumvent this DRM.

Even assuming you somehow manage to do this (how long have guns been
illegal in my country?), this does nothing to prevent copying of
analogue signals. And basically all of this stuff must eventually be
rendered in an analogue form in order to *use* it for its intended purpose.

The only way to totally prevent analogue copying is to prevent any
device that can copy analogue signals. So no recording devices, basically.

In fact, forget DRM. If you just outlaw any device capable of copying
audio/video signals, the audio/video DRM problem goes away. As does
YouTube. Because nobody will be able to make anything to put on it.

So getting rid of all recording devices is infiesible. The only other
approach is watermarking and requiring all devices to respect it.
Unfortunately, nobody has yet designed a watermark that can survive
extreme treatment. And it's probably impossible even in theory.

I find the whole idea pretty absurd.