POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Go figure! (again) : Re: Go figure! (again) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Go figure! (again)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Nov 2008 04:04:41
Message: <491d3f29$1@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Mike the Elder wrote:
>>
>> The short version of the question is this:
>> Keeping in mind that I would like to be able to do as much as I can
>> myself and
>> avoid being stuck with having to purchase "improvements" figure by
>> figure,
>> texture by texture, hairdo by hairdo, etc., where should I invest my
>> money and
>> how much should I expect to spend?
>
> You could be a real cheapskate like I am.  Download Daz Studio (which is
> free, and looks to remain that way), and also download every freebie you
> can find at www.daz3d.com .

To answer both of you, I would say this:

My personal experience with both Daz|Studio and Poser boils down to this
very definitely: Buy Poser and download all the freebies from both Daz and
Poser, figures as well as props (including Miki and - especially - Apollo
Maximus) and you are in real business as all DAZ figures can also be used in
Poser. Once you have made your initial investment in Poser, you do not have
to open your wallet again.

Poser has the huge advantage that you can add the clothes you make, e.g. in
Wings3D, and animate those naturally in the Cloth Room. With some more work,
you could probably make simple hair props. However, wait for a future
version of Poseray where (I hope) FlyerX will implement a better way to
convert Poser's dynamic hair. Believe me, You do not need the whole stream
of different clothes and props. Sometimes an updated figure might be
worthwhile (like Miki2 instead of Miki), so once in a while I make a small
investment to upgrade one thing or another, but you do *not* have to do it.

My impression about DAZ is that although it is *free*, you will have to
invest massively in it just to be able to do the basic things Poser brings
you right away.

I have no experience with MakeHuman. It might be something for the future
when more is implemented, is my feeling.

Thomas