POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: scott
Date: 14 Nov 2008 03:14:09
Message: <491d3351@news.povray.org>
>> Also, are *human eyes* linear? Would you notice when brightness is
>> changing
>> perfectly linearly? :)

Hehe no probably not, anyway I highly doubt a filament lamp is linear
brightness wrt voltage either - for starters the temperature of the filament
probably has something to do with the power (which is proportional to V^2),
then the brightness of a black-body is probably not very linear wrt
temperature...

> Probably not. But when the light stays off, and then suddenly turns full
> on, with nothing in between, I'm fairly sure that's non-linear. ;-)

That's how LED works (they're diodes!), at a certain voltage suddenly they
start conducting very well.  It's like they are a very low resistance
resistor, but you need to apply some "offset" voltage to get them conducting
first.  Thus the difference between applying 2.0V and 2.5V could be the
difference between no light and blowing the LED!