POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: scott
Date: 14 Nov 2008 02:39:28
Message: <491d2b30@news.povray.org>
>  Soon we will live in a world where pirated music and movies are the
> *only* way to get them to work properly without having to spend enormous
> amounts of money on expensive hardware which might still not guarantee
> that you can get them to work properly.

Exactly, I don't understand why the producing companies do not realise that
if they completely scrapped DRM at least the same people would still buy
their products (maybe even a few more who refused to buy before because of
DRM) and their products will still appear on bitTorrent.  The only
difference will be they don't have to spend millions on DRM and their
customers don't have to get annoyed with it.

I can understand in the past when there was no internet and people passed
around videos to copy at home, and some mild DRM would stop most people
being able to copy the tape.  But today there are *always* huge numbers of
very skilled people willing to put in the time and effort to crack any new
DRM system and share their findings online.  Once one person has done that
everyone else can get the copy with almost no hassle.

eg They must have spent a huge amount of time and effort coming up with the
really complicated DRM system that is used on BluRay discs.  Yet, almost 2
weeks before the official launch of Wall-E on BluRay (in the UK at least),
you can download the 1920x800 DRM-free AVI for free, and I'm sure all other
releases are equally available.  I think that counts as a failure in
anyone's books.