POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Tom Austin
Date: 13 Nov 2008 15:42:32
Message: <491c9138$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
>> Mike Raiford wrote:
>>> Just keep in mind CMOS is very easy to cook.
>>>
>> yes, they are easier than TTL to *damage*
>>
>> TTL can withstand a bit more abuse before they peter out.
>
> Heh. I once built a circuit following exact instructions from a breadboard
> diagram. It didn't work. I touched the IC and it was hot. (uh oh) I noticed
> I was using the *wrong IC*! I was giving it power into an OUTPUT PIN!!
>
> After that abuse, it still worked fine :)

You would be amazed what you could do to a chip and have it survive.
Just because you exceeded the maximum ratings, or hooked up something
backwards doesn't mean that it is killed tho you probably brought down
the reliability of the chip.

Then you would be surprised how easy it is to make one fail.  Sneeze
wrong and it's over.

It's all in the magic blue smoke.  All chips run on it - if you let it
out then it doesn't work any more.
I just wonder how they get the blue smoke in there in the first place.