POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My own Vista impressions : Re: My own Vista impressions Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My own Vista impressions
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Nov 2008 14:05:12
Message: <491c7a68$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> XP had a similar thing with the "prefetch" stuff, but I think Vista took
> it several steps farther. That's what the bit where plugging in a USB
> drive gets you faster access does - an extra level of paging cache
> between memory speeds and disk speeds, and without the seek delays as well.

IME, USB tends to be far slower than IDE (and presumably SATA).

OTOH, USB flash drives don't have a seek delay, which may or may not
counter the slowness of the bus.

> There's even a "sudo" out there that will take the command line and run
> it elevated, so if (like me) you keep forgetting you want an admin
> command-line, you don't have to go back to the menus to get it.
> (Informationally included for people actually using Vista. :-)

Doesn't XP have this also?

> I liked the Vista look immediately too. Lots of small improvements, and
> just a nicer look to it. 3D without being too "cartoony". Colors easier
> on the eyes. Start menu is easier to navigate (eliminating the complaint
> that you have to carefully move the mouse to the right to keep the
> submenu from vanishing), sound effects somewhat more muted, the explorer
> address bar is nice, the new thumbnails are nice, the task bar with
> previews is nicer.  They once again moved the right-click menu for the
> directory you're currently looking at, but it only took me five minutes
> instead of a week to find where it went this time. Not sure I like the
> "organize/view/..." menu as much as the old one, or the lack of a
> left-title-bar button (altho a right-click in the title bar serves).
> Everything has gotten a touch more simplified, which is somewhat
> annoying to a nerd like me. Some stuff that you're supposed to run in
> the background (like disk defrags) has gotten much slower to invoke
> explicitly.

It seems to me that the only "new" thing about Vista is

1. It's more pretty to look at.

2. They added several hundred minor improvements to various things.

There doesn't seem to be anything radically new about it. They just took
XP and tweaked it slightly.

It's nice that they're trying to make improvements to the thing, but...
uh, you want *how much* for a few minor tweaks? No thanks.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/