POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Nov 2008 12:47:08
Message: <491c681c$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> 	Depends on the university. In a number of well known grad schools in
> the US, they actively discourage you from getting a MS, and strongly
> encourage you just go straight to the PhD - in fact, they often don't
> offer funding if you don't go directly into PhD, because they assume you
> just want an MS and will leave.

Odd. Never heard of that. I can see your point, but I would think the
number of people who go thru the MS saying they'll get a PhD and knowing
they're going to bail before then must be fairly low. Maybe where that
has happened too often they instituted this policy.

>> You probably need to be a lot smarter to get a PhD in (say) physics or
>> engineering than in computers.
>
> 	Engineering?
>
> 	Not really. I think it's on par with CS. Both have areas that will
> require a lot of smartness, and both have areas that don't.

Maybe. The few engineering courses I sat in on seemed a lot harder.
Maybe I'm just better at computers.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)