POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Tom Austin
Date: 13 Nov 2008 10:43:53
Message: <491c4b39$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> My favorite is when your light turns green
>> which means that the other traffic must have been red for 3-4 seconds
>> yet cars are still continuing to go through the intersection trying to
>> 'beat' the red.
>
> In the UK at least I see a lot of junctions where the instant one
> direction changes from amber to red, the other changes from red to
> red+amber.

The delay is probably similar to red+amber.
Are you allowed to go on a red+amber?

   If you have a 3-4 second delay where all directions are on
> red, then of course people are going to be tempted to carry on jumping
> the red for a few seconds after it's switched from green.

Yes and no - it depends on where you live.  Some areas are really bad -
10-15 seconds of red light running.  Other areas are very lawful and
compliant.  I think it depends on the demeanor of the people that drive
through the area.

I like that some places actually put in red light cameras - then it is
automatic with the ticket, not only when there is a cop around.

>> Another is when you are going to make a right turn and almost hit the
>> guy that's been driving on the shoulder for 1/4 mile to make his right
>> turn.
>
> Hehe, I guess you don't need to look out for cyclists while making right
> turns there, here you just get into the habit of *always* looking to the
> right - alongside and behind you - before actually turning.

A cyclist is different, he should be there - that's where it is safer.
You should always look before changing lanes.

It's those cars who are trying to get 30 cars ahead that cause the
problem.  They think they have the right to drive on the shoulder
because they are turning ahead - even to the point where if there is a
car parked on the shoulder, they pull back into traffic - they just used
the shoulder as a passing lane!

Tom