POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... : Re: Oh dear... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh dear...
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Nov 2008 07:00:35
Message: <491c16e3@news.povray.org>
>> In fairness, as I understand it the guy is an SQL Server expert, not
>> an Oracle expert.
>
> No fairness.
> SQL Server doesn't have the dump feature that he's proposing you use
> (well, you can do it, but it's non-trivial). SQL Server backups are full
> database backups and are online backups (can be done while DB is in use)
> and restore with the DB in exactly the state that it was at the time of
> the backup

...so, rather like real Oracle backups then.

Presumably the guy did a little researching on Oracle and found *a* way
to make a copy of the data, and that's what we're using.

Using a logical backup rather than a physical backup does take up less
disk space. However, it takes more time to backup and restore (and these
operations are logged transactions, and triggers can fire, etc.) Myself
I'd prefer a real physical backup...

Presumably the guy just isn't aware of the tradeoff. Or maybe he is, and
he seriously thinks the extra complication is justified for the disk
savings?