POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2008 16:58:45
Message: <491b5195$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Um... the obvious problem here is that I'm obviously not intelligent
> enough to do a PhD. :-P

I think intelligence is one of the less-needed skills. Writing, some
level of research, persistence, dealing with other people, dealing with
bureaucratic BS, and yes some amount of learning graduate-level computer
stuff, since you need the MS first.  (Assuming you're getting a PhD in
computers.)

The PhD (at least in computers) doesn't teach you anything about
computers. It teaches you about "philosophy."  Hence the name.

You probably need to be a lot smarter to get a PhD in (say) physics or
engineering than in computers.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)