POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Nov 2008 14:13:54
Message: <491b2af2$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:58:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Not use the NOPASSWD keyword, primarily.
>
> Oh, well, yes. Then you get what UAC does. That was kind of my point. I
> mean, people were complaining that UAC asks for a password for every
> process that need root privs. I was just wondering why this isn't a good
> thing.

I think it's largely a mindset - coming from a Windows background, one
typically is used to just being able to do things.

On *nix platforms with sudo, the mindset is a little different, but also
having the option to use NOPASSWD (which is ignored actually by kdesu and
gnomesu).  When I installed VNC on Vista, UAC prompted me *several* times
during the installation, and that was a pain.  With Linux, I get asked
once during a software installation.

>> Whereas for me, I used it for about 15 minutes and then rebooted the
>> machine into openSUSE 11.0 and left it there.  Vista's still there, but
>> pretty much all of my apps are Linux-based now, so I don't have a need
>> for it, really.
>
> Yep. To each his own. :-) I already had to reinstall OpenSuSE 11 twice
> due to it doing f'ed up things I couldn't figure out how to undo. Like,
> taking the "start button" off the "task bar", or screwing up the package
> management system so that attempts to update crash out.

KDE or GNOME?  I haven't had those issues as a GNOME user.

> (BTW, I *hate* the new package update thingie in SuSE 11. Confusing as
> hell, and doesn't work nice at all.  Warp talks about rearranging menus
> - how about an "accept" button that doesn't actually install the listed
> updates until you push another button that reveals the magic button that
> says "Yes, this is what I want to accept". Sheesh.)

I've not had that problem - using KDE or GNOME?  (I use GNOME, and found
the updater works very well and makes a lot of sense - the only thing I
don't like is that it only applies patches - security patches, for
example - and doesn't do application upgrades).

Jim