POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2008 03:30:14
Message: <491a9416@news.povray.org>
> Well, as I say, I started by wiring up one NAND gate, a pair of switches
> and an LED. What *should* have happened is that the LED lights up unless
> you simultaneously press both switches. What *actually* happened was
> completely different. :-/

How did you wire up the switches to the inputs? You can't just use a
connect/disconnect switch to the V+ line, because when it is disconnected
the input will be "floating" and probably float high.  You need to either
add a pull-down resistor or wire up a switch to connect between 0V and V+
alternately.

How did you wire up the LED? LEDs operate depending on current, not voltage,
so you usually need a resistor in series to fix the current.  Did you also
check that the IC could source/sink enough current to drive the LED?