POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2008 03:24:05
Message: <491a92a5$1@news.povray.org>
> But this has basically been my experience in every group project I've ever
> worked on. I've never met any other students who can actually program / do
> advanced math / comprehend complicated logic / etc. Basically I'm always
> the only guy in the group with any kind of technical skill.

Maybe you should have gone to a better University with more people at your
level?  I can't remember exactly how old you are, did you have to go through
the whole University application thingy where you supply your predicted
A-level grades and get made offers from different places?  DId you choose
somewhere that offered you really low grades or what?  You seem to have been
quite mismatched with the course.

> (Although saying that... I *did* give some guy on my college course the
> code to my Mandelbrot generator. Actually I didn't *give* him the code, I
> just sat next to him and told him what to write. He seemed to be a
> half-competent programmer. That is, I didn't have to tell him character by
> character what to type, and he made lots of alterations after I went away
> which didn't break the code...)

I think some people are just destined not to program, we had a 4x2 hour time
slot to do some C++ practical, which anyone who had ever made a simple
program with a few functions could have done easily in the first 2 hours.
Yet there were 1 or 2 people who were still there right at the end
struggling with the whole concept.