POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2008 21:58:58
Message: <491a4672@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Not use the NOPASSWD keyword, primarily.

Oh, well, yes. Then you get what UAC does. That was kind of my point. I
mean, people were complaining that UAC asks for a password for every
process that need root privs. I was just wondering why this isn't a good
thing.

> Whereas for me, I used it for about 15 minutes and then rebooted the
> machine into openSUSE 11.0 and left it there.  Vista's still there, but
> pretty much all of my apps are Linux-based now, so I don't have a need
> for it, really.

Yep. To each his own. :-) I already had to reinstall OpenSuSE 11 twice
due to it doing f'ed up things I couldn't figure out how to undo. Like,
taking the "start button" off the "task bar", or screwing up the package
management system so that attempts to update crash out.

(BTW, I *hate* the new package update thingie in SuSE 11. Confusing as
hell, and doesn't work nice at all.  Warp talks about rearranging menus
- how about an "accept" button that doesn't actually install the listed
updates until you push another button that reveals the magic button that
says "Yes, this is what I want to accept". Sheesh.)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)