POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tape degauss : Re: Tape degauss Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tape degauss
From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Nov 2008 21:53:13
Message: <491a4519@news.povray.org>
news:491972ab$1@news.povray.org...
> Here's an interesting thing. Our new backup procedure document says that
> old tapes will be degaussed before being thrown away.
>
> What's the best price you can find for a tape degauss machine? All the
> devices I can find are priced at several thousand dollars. o_O

Depends how erased you want the media.  If the magnetic field isn't strong
enough, you can still recover data from it, even after it's supposedly been
erased.  I saw a paper once where the government did a test to see just what
it took to *totally* wipe a HD, and the magnetic field needed to do so was
so strong that it physically warped the platters.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net