POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Nov 2008 21:48:38
Message: <491a4406$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:09:27 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> A proper sudo configuration.  Which arguably I don't have. ;-)
>
> What would be a proper sudo configuration?  What would you have it do,
> other than (say) require the human to check sudo failure logs regularly
> or something?

Not use the NOPASSWD keyword, primarily.  On a critical system, I
wouldn't allow that in the file at all.  That would prevent a trojan such
as you describe from successfully using sudo to act as root.

On such a system, I'd also do other things, too, like require public key
authentication via SSH and disable root's remote access via SSH.

>> It's good to know they've fixed a few things, should I ever have a need
>> to go back. :-)
>
> Yes. Almost all (but certainly not all) of the complaining I've seen was
> either about beta versions of the stuff, or just plain wrong (such as
> complaining "they should have left an advanced way to do X" when they
> already did, and the review just wasn't advanced enough to find it).
>
> I must admit, this is the first time Windows has "improved" that I've
> immediately liked the new version better than the old, just in terms of
> look and functionality and such. Altho it does seem to be even more
> dumbed down, lacking (for example) progress bars for many things you'd
> think would have progress bars. And omitting useful functionality (like
> backups? Come on...) unless you pay for the full packages and more.
>
> Mine worked much better once I scraped all the proprietary ad-ware off
> the thing, and put on only the device drivers it didn't already have
> signed copies of from Microsoft.
>
> Of course, I haven't used it for real work yet, so maybe it's a lot
> flakier. But as a concept, it works for me. :-)

Whereas for me, I used it for about 15 minutes and then rebooted the
machine into openSUSE 11.0 and left it there.  Vista's still there, but
pretty much all of my apps are Linux-based now, so I don't have a need
for it, really.

Jim