POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2008 20:09:26
Message: <491a2cc6@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> A proper sudo configuration.  Which arguably I don't have. ;-)

What would be a proper sudo configuration?  What would you have it do,
other than (say) require the human to check sudo failure logs regularly
or something?

> It's good to know they've fixed a few things, should I ever have a need
> to go back. :-)

Yes. Almost all (but certainly not all) of the complaining I've seen was
either about beta versions of the stuff, or just plain wrong (such as
complaining "they should have left an advanced way to do X" when they
already did, and the review just wasn't advanced enough to find it).

I must admit, this is the first time Windows has "improved" that I've
immediately liked the new version better than the old, just in terms of
look and functionality and such. Altho it does seem to be even more
dumbed down, lacking (for example) progress bars for many things you'd
think would have progress bars. And omitting useful functionality (like
backups? Come on...) unless you pay for the full packages and more.

Mine worked much better once I scraped all the proprietary ad-ware off
the thing, and put on only the device drivers it didn't already have
signed copies of from Microsoft.

Of course, I haven't used it for real work yet, so maybe it's a lot
flakier. But as a concept, it works for me. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)