POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : in agorum laborat : Re: in agorum laborat Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: in agorum laborat
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Nov 2008 19:19:05
Message: <491a20f9$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:44:57 +0100, scott wrote:

> There's a native English guy who *teaches* English to a class here (a
> friend of mine goes to it) and he writes "tryed"!  I can understand a
> non-native making that mistake when learning English, but there's no
> excuse for a native to do that, and especially not if he is teaching
> English.

That actually is a valid spelling, according to the Oxford English
Dictionary.  As are treid, tryyd, tryede, and tryde.  This is from the
verb form of the word, and from the definitions my copy of OED references
this spelling for, is related to (for example) the extraction of oil from
blubber or fat by heat - which derives usages deriving from "to sift
out" (to ascertain, find out, by search or examination), or in law.

Admittedly, "tryed" is a rare form, considered largely obsolete in most
cases, but it is nevertheless a valid spelling.

Jim