POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: andrel
Date: 12 Nov 2008 17:15:20
Message: <491B55CE.8010108@hotmail.com>
On 12-Nov-08 23:03, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Um... the obvious problem here is that I'm obviously not intelligent
>>> enough to do a PhD. :-P
>>
>> I think intelligence is one of the less-needed skills. Writing, some
>> level of research, persistence, dealing with other people, dealing
>> with bureaucratic BS, and yes some amount of learning graduate-level
>> computer stuff, since you need the MS first.  (Assuming you're getting
>> a PhD in computers.)
>>
>> The PhD (at least in computers) doesn't teach you anything about
>> computers. It teaches you about "philosophy."  Hence the name.
>>
>> You probably need to be a lot smarter to get a PhD in (say) physics or
>> engineering than in computers.

Strange as it sound but this would be in medicine. Because the research
will be carried out in the faculty of medicine. It would still be for
programming/math/gui/graphics/database work (unless you like animal
experiments or genotyping or some mechanical construction, then we can
throw them in as well).

> Fact: I absolutely *suck* at research. At uni, every assignment
> involving any element of research was consistently graded very poorly
> indeed. Several such modules I failed outright.

I'd like to meet someone with an inquisitive mind that sucks at research.

> Fact: I also suck at report writing. I'm good at writing technical
> stuff, but reports are supposed to have a specific structure and I don't
> really grok that. Also I'm not very good at structuring large documents;
> the flow tends to end up rather muddled.

Good, we'll teach you!

> Fact: I don't actually need a PhD for anything. Certainly I don't have
> the money to pay for one. Time would also seem to be an issue.

Sorry? We pay you to get a PhD, that is the way it works here.

> I could almost be tempted to do math classes - but again time and money
> would seem an issue. (As well as the minor detail of finding a suitable
> class somehow.)

Every PhD student has to take some relevant classes, if that would be
math that's fine.