POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2008 16:27:49
Message: <4919f8d5$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Videogames sell a lot, but don't employ nearly as much as such huge an
> industry should.

It's really not that huge an industry. Even software in general is
"niche" compared to, for example, construction or banking.

> I don't know, I have a feeling such huge niches do not employ people by
> advertising jobs through conventional channels.

Most jobs requiring competence don't advertise. It's mostly
word-of-mouth. And since it's not technically a profession (unlike, for
example, medicine or law), there's no minimum requirements where you can
hire anyone with the right certification and assume you're getting
someone at least minimally competent to do the job.

Plus, it seems most software places are utterly uninterested in someone
who could learn to do the job quickly but who don't already know all the
skills required. I haven't quite figured that out.  "We need someone who
knows Java 1.5.7.  You only list Java 1.5.4 on your resume."

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)