POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:39:06
Message: <4919ed6a$1@news.povray.org>
>> those look like some pretty ****ing big niches to me! ;-)
>
> Videogames sell a lot, but don't employ nearly as much as such huge an
> industry should.

Well, yeah, I guess that's true.

Games are a fairly high-risk industry; gotta plough in a crapload of
money, and at the end of it you might not even sell many units if the
game isn't that great.

More to the point, once the game exists, you can just keep selling and
selling it for basically no cost. (Think I'm joking? Valve are yelling
that I can buy Quake 2 for $10 or something now. How many years ago was
Quake 2??) Those programmers were only hired once, but a huge industry
is powered by the profits.

> I don't know, I have a feeling such huge niches do not employ people by
> advertising jobs through conventional channels.

Now *that* I won't disagree with at all.

I have no idea where these jobs are, but *I* can't find them...

>> Yeah - maybe I should get said to write open source software?
>>
>> Oh, wait...
>
> You could try submitting your resumé to Novell, RedHat and the likes. ;)

...are either of those companies still going? I thought Novell went
under years ago, and RedHat vanished off the face of the earth once they
realised that trying to sell Linux services isn't profitable.

I did look into a few companies such as IBM, HP, Nokia, etc. But they're
all based either in London or in other remote areas of the country.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/