POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:25:54
Message: <4919ea52$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> nemesis wrote:

> Hmm. Between the global telecommunications network (with its custom
> hardware and the recent craze for mobile phones), the
> multi-billion-dollar games industry, the presumably large industry
> making computer components (most of which require drives of some kind),
> the ever-increasing sea of consumer goods that need firmware to
> function, the financial institutions that build and run huge complex
> financial simulations, and the endless array of applications of DSP...
> those look like some pretty ****ing big niches to me! ;-)

Videogames sell a lot, but don't employ nearly as much as such huge an
industry should.  Beat a game and read the credits listing:  one or two
lead programmers, some main game and level designers, many beta testers
and one musician or band and many artists specialiazed in textures,
modelling and such.

Telecoms are mostly about networks and hardware, but, yes, hardware is
becoming more and more general purpose mobile computers and so,
programming should increase as well.  But firmware writing is still a
niche for very few people.

I don't know, I have a feeling such huge niches do not employ people by
advertising jobs through conventional channels.  I mostly never hear of
them.  Either that or some fake "Senior Manager needed" ad will actually
get you as lead programmer of a firmware division... :P

>> It only exists within firms providing the infrastructure and research
>> everybody else employs to do their things.  I'm talking about
>> Microsoft, Adobe, Sun, Autodesk, open source projects etc...
>
> Yeah - maybe I should get said to write open source software?
>
> Oh, wait...

You could try submitting your resumé to Novell, RedHat and the likes. ;)