POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) : Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl)
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:15:33
Message: <4919e7e5$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:

> Okay, I'll be a malignant troll and comment on the image. What's the point?  As
> one post said in the thread, why not just bring along a camera?  I think that
> with too much attempts at realism in CG, you're either in the Uncanny Valley,
> or you're so realistic it raises the question of why don't you use photograph a
> model.

Why bother climbing Everest? I mean, it surves no useful purpose of any
kind.

Even better: Why climb Everest *today*? It's already been done. It was
pointless the first time, and there's no particular point in somebody
else doing it again today.

Similarly: Why have I just spent over 2 *months* learning to play
Widor's Toccata? I could easily pick up a copy of a true master playing
it on a grand organ, and it'll sound better than anything I will ever
produce. So why bother?

It's a challange, man! To see if it can actually be done. :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/