POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:05:25
Message: <4919e585$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> - I sit in a corner by myself, building and testing the program. Every
>> now and then another team member will casually ask me how it's going.
>> I tell them it's going OK. They smile and nodd, and wander off.
>
> I had one of those. The funny part was when the partners came back three
> weeks later for the next project and said "You wanna work together
> again?"   Noooo...

Well, I mean, let's be honest about this. Only I have the skill required
to write programs beyond Hello World that actually compile, much less
execute in a way resembling the designer's intensions. So I did all the
coding. The guys were perfectly nice about it; they just lacked the
skills required to help me in any meaningful way.

What they *did* do is write all the GANT charts and other baloney that
we actually got marked on. So, in a way, it's actually *me* that got the
good deal! ;-)

But this has basically been my experience in every group project I've
ever worked on. I've never met any other students who can actually
program / do advanced math / comprehend complicated logic / etc.
Basically I'm always the only guy in the group with any kind of
technical skill.

(Although saying that... I *did* give some guy on my college course the
code to my Mandelbrot generator. Actually I didn't *give* him the code,
I just sat next to him and told him what to write. He seemed to be a
half-competent programmer. That is, I didn't have to tell him character
by character what to type, and he made lots of alterations after I went
away which didn't break the code...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/