POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Tom Austin
Date: 11 Nov 2008 14:51:37
Message: <4919e249$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> It sounds like you think very technically.  What is you interest level
>> in electronics.  There's plenty of heavy lifting math there ;-)
>
> My *interest level* is moderately high. My *knowledge level* is very low.
>
> (As in, I know how it's *supposed* to work. It just doesn't work that
> way when *I* do it.)

I bet that if you dedicate yourself to learning electronics the same way
that you dedicated yourself to playing the church organ and uploading
the file to youtube you could likely have something working.

Parts of digital electronics can be very simple - join wire a to wire b.
Some of it can get tricky, but most of the work has been done for you
and is packaged into nice chips.

Analog can get a bit more tricky.  You have to calculate resistor values
and capacitor values to make things work.  Then the parts you can
actually use have a tolerance of +-10% - but i calculated I needed a
2045 ohm resistor.....

Take a look at
http://www.amazon.com/Cmos-Cookbook-Donald-E-Lancaster/dp/0750699434

It's a pretty good book that gives some basics and provides enough
information to get started hooking thing up.  I own it myself.

If you want to *program* something, then you need a microcontroller or
the like.  BasicStamp is a good place to start that does not cost too
much to get started.  You could look at their SX lineup that involves
raw assembly programming.

You can hook all of these up on a breadboard pretty easily - no
soldering needed.  Start small - don't try to build a antonymous robot
the first time you light up a circuit.

There are a bunch of guys in here in Pr.O.T that know how this stuff
works - you can always ask questions.

Tom