POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 11 Nov 2008 08:53:09
Message: <49198e45$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> When the lecturer wrote the formula on the whiteboard, everybody freaks
> out and starts going "what the hell does 'log' mean?" And the lecturer
> is all "oh, I'm sorry, I just *assumed* that 3rd year degree students
> would know what a logarithm is". It turns out that actually, only two
> people in the room knew about logarithms.

log is kind of a neat function.

One cool trick is ln(x)/ln(n) will compute the base n log of x. Then you
can use it to solve x in 2^x = 128 ;)

Its sort of the inverse of exponentiation.

Anyway .... you have all this CS background and are not a programmer...
get out there and get a programming job already! :)

My last job had me using a ton of trig, vector and matrix arithmetic.
This one, not so much, I'm basically basically n-tier hell. But, it pays
the bills.

--
~Mike