POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) : Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:52:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl)
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2008 06:42:48
Message: <49196fb8$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Was it on TV or movies?  Sounds more like an unfinished tech demo...
>>
>> Live concert performance.
>>
>> Then again, considering the quality of the entire performance.......
>
> But, man!  If it's live, it simply can't be of the same quality of
> prerendered CG.  That's also why lip sync was lagging...

No, it *was* prerendered. (And the voice was prerecorded. Clearly. The
guy has been dead for how many decades?)

It just amused me how the booklet screamed about the "cutting edge
computer graphics" representing "thousands of hours of computer time"
when the end result looked so laughable. Pixar were doing animation
better than this 20 years ago. Cutting edge my butter knife! :-P

(E.g., you see an alien head with a mass of writhing tenticles. Several
of the tenticles clearly and obviously pass through each other, and
polygon edges are clearly evident. In fairness, the texturing is
actually quite good. However, when you take a 3-second animation loop,
and just play it forwards-then-backwards for 10 minutes... um... this is
"cutting edge"?)

Still, it was a night out.