POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Nov 2008 06:25:09
Message: <49196b95$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> As you probably all know by now, I hold an honours degree in Computer
> Science. (Upper-second class, no less.)

Yay!

> As far as I can tell, whoever created this cause was of the opinion that
> "software" is a construct for storing, processing and retreiving
> business data. In other words, you have a UI at the front (possibly
> web-based), a large database at the back, and some complex business
> logic in the middle.

"Welcome to the desert of the real." ;)

> The idea that there might exist "software" which doesn't fit this model
> appears to have not occurred to anybody here. For example:
>
> - Embedded software.
> - Device drivers.
> - Computer games.
> - Mathematical moddeling.
> - Signal processing.
> - Artificial intelligence.

You forgot computer graphics. :)

Anyway, those are niches.  90% of IT (which is not the same as compsci)
is about COBOLs.

> Also... I really ought to get a job where all this stuff is useful! I
> wonder if such a thing exists?

It only exists within firms providing the infrastructure and research
everybody else employs to do their things.  I'm talking about Microsoft,
Adobe, Sun, Autodesk, open source projects etc...