POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) : Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl)
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Nov 2008 06:02:14
Message: <49196636$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> Okay, I'll be a malignant troll and comment on the image. What's the point?  As
> one post said in the thread, why not just bring along a camera?  I think that
> with too much attempts at realism in CG, you're either in the Uncanny Valley,
> or you're so realistic it raises the question of why don't you use photograph a
> model.

I read that post.  The point is the same in all creative endeavour:
it's much more fun creating things with your own hands rather than
taking them for granted, as in photographing them.

Besides, I can see some practical uses, perhaps not for beautiful
ladies, but for realistic creatures you can't simply bring the camera.
Gollum?  Davy Jones?  Sandman?  How about bringing John Wayne or Marilyn
Monroe back from the grave?  Ok, so that perhaps should be work for a
double... :P