POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : in agorum laborat : Re: in agorum laborat Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: in agorum laborat
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2008 15:11:56
Message: <4918958c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> But if you write
>    I really "did" want him to win the election.
> rather than
>    I really *did* want him to win the election.
> then it comes out looking exactly opposite of what was intended.

Or maybe a better example, if you write
    I really did want him to *win* the election.
it means he lost, but came close or otherwise did a good job, and you
wanted success.

If you write
    I really did want him to "win" the election.
it means you'd rather he stuffed the ballot boxes and cheated in order
to be elected in spite of the fact he didn't actually get enough votes.

Completely different meanings.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)