POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video game : Re: Video game Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video game
From: nemesis
Date: 10 Nov 2008 15:01:17
Message: <4918930d$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez escreveu:
> I have an AMD Dual Core 4200+ 64-bit, with 2GB of RAM, a GeForce 8600 GT
> video card, and a 19" screen. I guess it could run many "modern" video
> games. But guess what I am playing?
>
> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/nicolas/gens.png (1.4MB)
>
> Does anyone know what the SEGA hardware specs are? :) I think it's kinda sad
> to see how much CPU time this emulator is using (between 20% and 50%
> depending on resolution; and jumps to 100% if sound is disabled, wtf?)
>
> It wasn't too easy to get the emulator working. I built it from source. It
> gave some really weird compile errors. For a moment I thought I'd have to
> do major source changes, then I noticed the problem is it dislikes 64-bit.
> I had to do everything from a 32-bit chroot (which involved installing the
> dev. files of GTK+, more than 20MB). But hey, it works :)

Gens is not the fastest around, but it's one of the few available on
Linux. :P

In the old times, I used to get a pretty good performance -- not quite
that of the Megadrive, but pretty playable and with good frame rates --
with the legendary Genecyst, on DOS and a, gasp!, 486.  Yep.  It was
written in assembly.