POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is cool : Re: This is cool Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is cool
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2008 20:04:54
Message: <491788b6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> The only interesting way you could use such a technique to make your
> world a little safer might be to use it to disconnect a group of trusted
>  machines from the rest of the net. Then again, such techniques might
> not be completely new.

I think you want exactly the opposite of anonymity-enforcement for that.

>>> See above, anyone could provide that 'service' to youtube.
>>
>> Right. But that person can then get sued if what they're doing is
>> illegal.
>
> That would only be illegal if using youtube implies signing an EULA that
> you won't carry the stream over to a network using a non IP-protocol.
> Which I doubt is the case.

Right. Especially since this is, technically, an IP protocol. :)

>>> My 'guess' is that it would be used for anything that is not allowed
>>> in the day world and little else.
>>
>> Quite possibly, yes. On the other hand, it may help to reduce the
>> amount of what is "not allowed in the day world." :-)
>
> Not actually, only visibly. Pr0n surfing will continue, but it won't
> show up on your stats at the ISP anymore. Bandwidth is taken anyway.

Re-reading my sentence, I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote
that. Nevermind.

>> Yes, I suppose if you have too many layers, figuring out where leaks
>> are can be problematic.
>>
> I am more concerned about people with access to privacy information and
> no knowledge of what the consequences could be. Using a tunnel is OK,
> doing it for vital information on a machine that is connected to the
> internet without adequate malware protection or firewall, is not OK.

Sure. And what you probably really want is mandatory access controls.
Any program that opens for reading a file with patient information is
not allowed to write to any program that you (i.e., the sys admin /
"security officer") haven't vetted.  Difficult to enforce when it's not
built into the system, tho.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)