POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GRUB uglies : Re: GRUB uglies Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GRUB uglies
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Nov 2008 11:45:16
Message: <4915c21c$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> I think you may have to chroot into the Linux installation before
> setting up GRUB if the installed version is not the same as the one on
> the CD. GRUB will crap out if stage1 and stage2 are from different
> versions.

Hmmm. Fair enough. But I didn't do any updates on at least some of the
tests, so I'm assuming the two versions were the same.

> You did not show the contents of grub.conf, so we will just have to
> assume it is correct.

I didn't touch it, other than to copy it to a tar file and back. No
manual editing at all.

> It is not clear to me exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Do you
> want GRUB to chain-load Vista, or do you want the Vista loader to
> chain-load GRUB?

I want Vista to chain-load GRUB. (More precisely, I want Vista to chain
load Linux, but LILO wasn't happy either.)  I can do it easily when I
first install Linux, but if I get into a situation with an unrecoverable
error (dead hard drive, user screw-up, etc) where I have to restore from
backups, I can't get Linux to boot again.

Having GRUB chain-load Vista would be acceptable too. If the Linux gets
screwed up, I have the tools on bootable CD to fix stuff to boot
directly into the Vista partition, so I could back up anything I hadn't
backed up there if I screw up GRUB, for example. But I need to be able
to recover from a crash that makes the partition unbootable.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)