POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region : Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 7 Nov 2008 21:10:56
Message: <4914f530$1@news.povray.org>
Mike wrote:
> I have two transparent objects that I have merged together.  I am a bit confused
> how it is  dealing with the fact that the two objects have different refractive
> indices.  Does it just pick one and if so which one?

To my understanding, you never want the program to "pick one", or the results are
unpredictable, typically manifested with pixel-level spot patterns.  Merged structures
with different internal media should be non-overlapping.

Merge works best with overlapping structures when a single internal media field is
applied to the aggregated merged meta-object.

Dan