POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something new every day : Re: Something new every day Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something new every day
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 7 Nov 2008 20:01:17
Message: <4914e4dd@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Not surprisingly, if you use the UNIX interface libraries to access
> Windows juju, no, it might not work.  That whole "lowest common
> denominator" type thing doesn't really work anywhere once you get
> sophisticated about things.   :-)

That's not the Unix interface. open() is POSIX, I would be surprised if it
worked at all on Windows. But fopen() is standard C, and I would guess on
Windows it's implemented using CreateFile, not open.

Most open-source command-line tools don't work with any \\Windows\Crap. I
once tried to access the CDROM drive as raw blocks on Windows, and only one
tool (a port of dd) succeeded at reading from "\\.\Cdrom0". I don't care if
they use UNIX interfaces or what. All I care is that they don't work, and
they would with a plain old Unix fifo.

Something I think is interesting on Unix, even though I have never really
done it:
Download a .iso using BitTorrent. Burn it to a real CD. Delete the .iso to
save hard disk space. You can still keep seeding the torrent by
reconfiguring the torrent client to read from /dev/cdrom instead of
~/whatever.iso. Do *that* in Windows!