POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something new every day : Re: Something new every day Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something new every day
From: Warp
Date: 7 Nov 2008 19:23:45
Message: <4914dc11@news.povray.org>
> But yes, I have used named pipes in Unix before, and they can be
> surprisingly handy for some things. Kind of annoying in that (at least
> back then) the locking/exclusion semantics made things difficult.
> Difficult enough I wound up writing a socket listener instead and
> replaced the I/O stuff with libraries to talk to the sockets.

  I don't know why, but somehow you always succeed in doing two things:

1) Whenever someone belittles Windows, especially on its API and its
capabilities, for example by saying that Windows does not support this
or that, you almost always have a counter-argument ready, telling that
Windows *does* support it. (And even if the support is extremely hard
for a regular user to use, while the same feature in eg. linux is rather
simple to use, you still manage to make it *sound* like it's a completely
trivial thing to do in Windows as well, even if it really isn't.)

2) Whenever someone exalts unix in general or linux in particular, and
this is something which is absolutely undeniable, you often aknowledge
it, but *still* manage to somehow find something negative about it, making
it sound less useful. (While I'm not doubting your honesty, it often is
something which is rather difficult to verify in a few minutes, especially
for someone who is not thoroughly acquainted with the internal workings of
unix/linux/posix, which sometimes just feels too convenient.)

  I'm not saying that what you are saying is not true. I just sometimes
get the feeling that you make things sound more positive or negative than
they really are, on purpose.

--
                                                          - Warp