POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something new every day : Re: Something new every day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something new every day
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Nov 2008 17:38:42
Message: <4914c372$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Most programs I have tried don't work with that syntax. I think it only
> works if you use the Windows API directly, and not stuff like fopen...

Not surprisingly, if you use the UNIX interface libraries to access
Windows juju, no, it might not work.  That whole "lowest common
denominator" type thing doesn't really work anywhere once you get
sophisticated about things.   :-)

But yes, I have used named pipes in Unix before, and they can be
surprisingly handy for some things. Kind of annoying in that (at least
back then) the locking/exclusion semantics made things difficult.
Difficult enough I wound up writing a socket listener instead and
replaced the I/O stuff with libraries to talk to the sockets.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)