POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Nov 2008 14:20:17
Message: <49134371$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Gah.. All I need, an open network with two other machines already on
>> it, for how ever long it takes for me to figure out that the frell the
>> problem is..
>
> Nobody is going to hack your xbox, especially if it's not even connected
> to the network properly :-) And presumably the other PC will only be
> connected for brief periods to change router settings?  If you're really
> paranoid, then just make sure the firewall on the PC is fully on before
> you connect to the router.

Well, not real worried about it, in point of fact, I just don't like
fracking with something that is working, to fix something that I,
frankly, would find "convenient", but is not at all necessary.

>> Note, it **can't be** the security though, since I already got "past"
>> that part. If it was, then it would have failed, as it was initially
>> doing, at step 2, not step 3. Its almost certainly something else,
>> some place. :p
>
> That thing where it "connects" but doesn't get an IP, I had that happen
> when the machine was not in the MAC "allow" list.  Anyway, I think the
> 1st step is definitely to reset the router to its default settings, that
> will at least give you some further information about the problem,
> whether it works or not.

I have given up at this point. Seems that this router, for other people,
either a) doesn't give out the IP at all, due to some cheap ass design
of the damn dongle and what it does support (one person suggested buying
a cheap wireless router that will work as a transmitter, then reflash it
with firmware that turns it into a dongle, instead of a router..), or,
b) it connects, but then, no matter how good the signal is, disconnects
are random intervals, rendering it useless anyway. In all cases, it
works fine with anything ***not*** made to specifically plug into the
XBOX. lol

The only solution seems to be to wait to see if they put out a fireware
version that actually works with the dongle (not sure how you even tell,
without flashing it and trying), or just buy some far cheaper, less
advanced, and shorter range, router, which is in the "somehow these do
work" list.

And, again, its "in" the allow list, so that's not the issue. If its in
the "don't allow" this router won't even allow it to get past the
"connected" stage, it just refuses the connection completely.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();