POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2008 12:53:08
Message: <49132f04$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Well, it asks once per process you invoke with admin rights, just like
> sudo. No, sudo doesn't ask for the password every time, but it makes you
> type "sudo" every time, which was kind of what I was saying.

BTW, what prevents a program from trying to run sudo, just to see if
your sudo hasn't expired yet, and thereby taking over your machine? I
mean, if I don't have to actively confirm every request, why can't a
program just occasionally try to trojan its way in?

And, for the record:
1) SP1 apparently vastly improved how rarely you needed to UAC.
2) You can turn off UAC confirmations for administrators.
3) You can set administrators to needing to provide the password too.
4) There's a mildly hacky way (equivalent to setuid) to set up specific
programs to run as administrator without any prompting.

So it's pretty flexible. If you want a root account, log in as
administrator and turn off the UAC for administrators only. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)