POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! : Re: Organ technical data Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Organ technical data
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Nov 2008 10:27:18
Message: <49130cd6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> 2 manuals and 1 peddleboard.

Typical for a small organ.

> Peddleboard: 30 keys, C0 - F1, straight concave, wood, mechanical action.

Concave = the peddles in the middle are lower than the peddles at the
edges. The alternative is for all peddles to be the same height.

Straight = the peddles are parallel to each other. The alternative is
"radial", meaning the peddles radiate out around the stool.

> Peddle division:
>   Bordon 16'

Small organs typically have very few peddle stops. If there is only one,
it is almost always a Bordon.

> Great division:
>   Open Diapason 8'
>   Stopped Diapason 8'

These are your basic organ stops. Sounds rather flute-like. The stopped
diapason sounds quieter and more muffled, but otherwise similar to the
open diapason. These are both 8' (i.e., normal pitch) stops.

>   Dulciana 8' (incomplete rank)

A rather pleasent, quiet stop, with a mellow tone. Sounds almost
"distant". It is "incomplete" in that there are no pipes for the bottom
octave.

>   Principal 4'
>   Flute 4' (incomplete rank)
>   Fifteenth 2'

These sound more or less like diapasons, but higher-pitched. Use them on
their own, or mixed in with an 8' stop just to add more trebble.

> Swell division (enclosed):
>   Double Diapason 16' (incomplete rank)

Double as in double length. (This is a 16' stop.)

>   Horn Diapason 8' (incomplete rank)

I'm not fond of this one. Sounds a bit like a fog horn.

>   Lieblich Gedact 8'

Ask Florian how the **** you pronounce that. (It seems to be roughly
"YEE-blihh deDAAkt".) It has a lovely flute-like tone, soft and
delicate. Works best for melodies rather than chords.

>   Principal 4'
>   Full Mixture III

Again, use these to flesh out the sound. Personally I don't like the
Mixture stop very much.

>   Cornopean 8'

The only reed rank on the organ. (The others are all flue pipes.)
Produces an irritating trumpet-like sound.

>   Tremelo (sic.)

Pull this and the organ makes a thunderous noise like an unbalanced
washing machine! o_O Makes all the ranks sound like they've been put
through a Leslie speaker. (It modulates the air pressure.)

> Couplers:
>   Swell to Peddle
>   Swell to Great
>   Great to Peddle

As demonstrated, this causes a second set of keys to move when you press
the first set. (Also makes the keys correspondingly heavier! And more
prone to jamming on this tired old organ.) On modern electric organs,
this would just make an extra rank speak without actually moving the
keys. I kinda like the graphic demonstration of what it does though!