POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A sunrise with media and radiosity : Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity Server Time
26 Jun 2024 11:53:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 6 Nov 2008 10:22:55
Message: <49130bcf$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous illumina en ce 2008-11-05 23:00 -->
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>>>  Try this: Make a small sphere, out of camera view, fill it with
>>> media, then INVERSE the sphere. [And add a scene-filling object in the
>>> background, for the media to appear against.]
>>> According to my notes, that 'fills the universe' with media, and the scene
>>> no longer shows those radiosity problems!
>> Well...I can't seem to reproduce that result now. I don't
>> remember how I came up with that idea, but it doesn't work (although
>> my old notes say it does.) Can't trust those old notes. :-$
>>
>> Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase! I'll continue to try and figure
>> out my error...
>>

> For what it's worth, I did finally figure out how to reproduce this. Strangely,
> it depends on the Bounding_Threshold value in the .ini file (or on the command
> line.) By setting the threshold to one MORE than the total number of objects in
> the scene, the inverse trick works, and the media appears everywhere outside the
> sphere. (Lights don't count in this total.) If the threshold value is <= the
> total number of objects, inverse has no effect, and the media still appears
> inside the media object. Bounding_Threshold shouldn't behave that way, AFAIK.
>
> I also found something else strange (if my eyes are not deceiving me): Using
> inverse, the new 'universe-filling' media is not contributing anything to the
> rad lighting. Only the INVISIBLE media in the sphere is (!), and again in the
> same incorrect way. But there shouldn't be any media in the sphere now.
>
> Perhaps there are hidden clues here to rad's odd behavior with object media.
>
> Ken W.

If there is nothing between you and the background, you get "infinite" paths.
Media is not eveluated along an infinite path. If you have a beam of light,
then, things change, the samples are taken within the beam.
Where you have your inverted sphere, the path is no longer infinite, it stops at
the sphere.

--
Alain
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.